Privacy Notice for Google Accounts Managed with Family Link (“Privacy Notice”)
This Privacy Notice does not apply to the practices of any third party (non-Google) apps and websites that your child may use. You should review the applicable terms and policies for third party apps and websites to determine their appropriateness for your child, including their data collection and use practices.
Information We Collect
Information you and your child give us. For example, when you create a Google Account for your child, we’ll ask for personal information about them, like their first and last name, email address, and birthdate.
Information we get from your child’s use of our services. We automatically collect and store certain information about the services your child uses and how your child uses them, like when your child saves a picture in Google Photos, enters a query in Google Search, creates a document in Google Drive, talks to the Google Assistant, or watches a video in YouTube Kids. This information includes:
- Device-specific information, such as the hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information, including phone number. Google may associate your child’s device identifier or phone number with their Google Account;
- Server log information, including details of how your child uses Google’s services (such as search queries); device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and the referral URL, the associated internet protocol (IP) address, and cookies that may uniquely identify your child’s browser or their Google Account, and telephony log information like the device’s phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information, and types of calls;
- Voice & audio information may be collected. For example, if your child uses audio activation commands (e.g., “OK, Google” or touching the microphone icon), a recording of the following speech/audio, plus a few seconds before, will be stored to their account from any of your child’s signed-in devices, when the Voice & Audio Activity setting is enabled;
- Location information may be collected and processed about your child’s actual location as determined by various technologies including IP address, GPS, and other sensors that may provide Google with information of nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points, and cell towers;
- Unique application numbers may be sent to Google when your child installs or uninstalls a service or when a service periodically contacts our servers for automatic updates, such as the operating system type and application version number;
- Local storage may be used to store information on your child’s device; and
- Cookies or similar technologies, which are used by Google and our partners to collect and store information about a browser or device, such as preferred language and other settings, when your child interacts with services we offer to our partners, such as Google features that may appear on other sites.
We do not require your child to provide more personal information than is reasonably necessary to use the Google products and services available for these accounts.
How We Use Information We Collect
In addition, we may use your child’s information (including combining personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Google services) to offer them tailored content, such as more relevant app recommendations or search results.
Google will not serve personalized ads to your child, which means ads will not be based on information from your child’s account. Instead, ads may be based on information like the content of the website or app your child is viewing, the current search query, or general location (such as city or state). When browsing the web or using non-Google apps, your child may encounter ads served by other (non-Google) ad providers, including ads personalized by third parties.-
Our automated systems analyze your child’s content (including emails) to provide your child personally relevant product features, such as customized search results and spam and malware detection.
Information Your Child Can Share
Your child will be able to share information, including photos, videos, audio, and location, publicly and with others, when signed in with their Google Account. When your child shares information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines like Google Search.
Information Google Shares
Information we collect may be shared outside of Google in limited circumstances. We do not share personal information with companies, organizations, and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google with consent (as applicable).
With your family group
Your child’s information, including their name, photo, email address, and Play purchases, may be shared with members of your family group on Google.
For external processing
For legal reasons
We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request;
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations;
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; or
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Google also shares non-personal information (such as trends about the use of its services) publicly and with our partners.
If your child is signed into YouTube Kids with their Google Account, this Privacy Notice applies. If your child is not signed into YouTube Kids with their Google Account, the YouTube Kids Privacy Notice applies.
Access to Your Child’s Personal Information
You can also use the Family Link app or Family Link settings on the web to edit or modify your child’s Google Account information, review app activity and app permissions, and, if your child’s device is running Android 6.0 or higher, manage your child’s ability to grant certain permissions to apps to do things like access information from your child’s Android device (such as location, microphone, and contacts). You can also use Family Link to help manage your child’s access to certain features, apps, and services on Android.
If at any time you wish to stop further collection or use of your child's information, you can delete your child’s Google Account my clicking “Delete account” on your child’s Account Info page in Family Link or on the Family group page in My Account. Your child’s account information will be permanently deleted within a reasonable period of time.
When Your Child Turns 13
When your child turns 13 (or the minimum age required for the creation of a Google Account absent parental consent in your country), they are eligible to manage their account on their own. If your child chooses to manage their Google Account, you will no longer have access to, or be able to exercise control over, it with Family Link. Before your child becomes eligible to manage their own Google Account, we will notify you and your child.
If you have any questions about your child’s Google Account, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help. You can find additional information about Family Link and your child’s Google Account in our help center. You can also send us feedback about Family Link or your child’s Google Account in Family Link by tapping the Menu ☰ > Help & Feedback > Send feedback, or by contacting us by email or at the address below.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043 USA
Phone: +1 855 696 1131 (USA)
For other countries, visit g.co/ContactFamilyLinkHelp